Thursday, January 31, 2013

Fun Reading!


Yeah right: who has time to read for pleasure during a semester? But should you find yourself shiftlessly searching for an enjoyable reading encounter, let me recommend The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss.

If you're not into fantasy as a rule, I think that you will find these novels to confound your expectations of the genre (which are, I admit, all too frequently borne out). The first two books are  available (published 2007 and 2011), with a third in the works.

I'm not a very good reviewer, more's the pity. Let me simply say: the appeal of these books does not lie in any typical genre conventions. Rather, I am so very enthralled by them (and have re-read them a ridiculous number of times so far) because I am a language geek. Mr. Rothfuss treats the cadences of language with such care, such craftsmanship, such subtle playfulness, and such erudition as I have rarely seen in combination with each other. I absolutely refuse to give any spoilers, because I want any of you who do go on to read these books to discover their sheer delightfulness on your own.

There you go. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment